Saturday, February 04, 2006

Ah, sometimes you have to embrace the teenager inside



The film that accompanied me through the delights of teenage angst was Pump up the Volume, tonight I'm having a trip down memory lane and embracing the moment again. It's a classic tale of disillusionment and despair with life, the system and everything, that sadly I'm now too old to appreciate. Well I can appreciate the disillusionment and despair at life, but I'm very glad that the school factor in that is over. But, then again being over 20 I clearly have no idea anymore. Ah well. Here are some quotes so you can appreciate the joys, and hopefully not give too much insight into the disturbed teenage part of my brain. On a more serious note, this film does ask the question of life, the big one, the 'what on earth are we doing here' question. Which needs to be asked, shouted and raged about every now and again before we sink back into the blandness and blindness.

"They say I'm disturbed. Well, of course I'm disturbed. I mean, we're all disturbed. And if we're not, why not? Doesn't this blend of blindness and blandness want to make you do something crazy? Then why not do something crazy? It makes a helluva lot more sense than blowing your brains out."

"Feeling screwed up at a screwed up time in a screwed up place does not necessarily make you screwed up."

"I'm sick of being ashamed. I don't mind being dejected and rejected, but I'm not going to be ashamed about it. At least pain is real. I mean, you look around and you see nothing is real, but at least the pain is real."

"[T]here's nothing to do anymore. Everything decent's been done. All the great themes have been used up--turned into theme parks."

"Society is mutating so rapidly that anyone over the age of 20 really has no idea."

2 Comments:

Blogger Ed Goode said...

Judging by those wuote i reckon i would've loved that film when i was 14/15/16!

6/2/06 10:35 am  
Blogger Kath said...

Yeah man. You'll have to borrow it!!

6/2/06 10:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home