Tuesday, November 22, 2005

I'm wide awake it's morning

The only, and I mean only, music I have listened to over the last week is Bright Eyes with "I'm wide awake, it's morning". Really, really, really, if you haven't got this album you must buy it now and play it over and over and over again. It's beautiful. Each song is so richly worded and developed it makes you skip back and play it again, and again, and again. I think I might be addicted to this album. And the sad truth is, I don't even own it. I have stolen my housemates copy. And she's not getting it back. No, no.

Lines from some of the songs:

"And in the ear of every anarchist that sleeps but doesn’t dream
We must sing, we must sing, we must sing"

(really you should buy it for that line alone)

"Well if I could tame
All of my desires
Wait out the weather that howls in my brain
Because it seems
That it’s always changing
The winds indecision
The sorrowful rain

I was a postcard
I was a record
I was a camera
Until I went blind

Now I’m riding
All over this island
Looking for something
To open my eyes"

"I’ve grown tired of holding this pose
I feel more like a stranger each time I come home
So I’m making a deal with the devils of fame
Saying “let me walk away, please”
You’ll be free child once you have died
From the shackles of language and measurable time
And then we can trade places, play musical graves
Till then walk away, walk away

So I’m up at dawn
Putting on my shoes
I just want to make a clean escape
I’m leaving but I don’t know where to
I know I’m leaving but I don’t know where to"

"The sun came up with no conclusion
Flowers sleeping in their beds
This city's cemetery's humming
I’m wide-awake, it’s morning"

Brilliant, and making me remember how much I love music all over again. Contented sighs all round.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ed Goode said...

It is a beautiful album. Have you come across Cursive, whoa re on the same label? Louder, but no less thoughtful and, well, beautiful.

23/11/05 5:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home