Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Randomly meanderings

So, I was talking to the Bluefish about jPod today, we couldn't quite figure out if it was a stupid book, a really clever book or just a really interesting concept for a thing and not really a book at all. It's pretty much got no plot and no structure and seems to just hang on the premise that this is what might result if you published the contents of someone's laptop. I find that random stream of consciousness stuff quite entertaining, most probably because it fits well with the constant flick reading and skimming that I do, from blog to blog, each day. I've always had a random interest in the strange details of others lives and rambling books and films that don't necessarily have a point but just float through someone's life for a bit and then leave again.

So, read it if you like a bit of randomness and ponder what your life would be like on paper if someone dumped the contents of your laptop into a book and published it. I'd be pretty freaked I think. That people would get to read the realms of self pity and rambling that doesn't make it onto these blog pages is too horrifying to contemplate. (I've just read through some of my old ramblings and am thanking the gods of the internet that blogs weren't invented before I developed enough discernment to work out what should be on a public screen and what should be left for the eyes of my Maker alone. Cue some hollow laughter as I realise that I may need to learn some more of that discernment thing)

Ultimately jPod pushes again at some of the familiar ground of the point to this life, is there one? Is it going to get better or more and more random? Really it might just be better to go and read Ecclesiastes.

2: "17 So I hated life, because the work that is done under the sun was grievous to me. All of it is meaningless, a chasing after the wind. 18 I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. 19 And who knows whether he will be a wise man or a fool? Yet he will have control over all the work into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. This too is meaningless. 20 So my heart began to despair over all my toilsome labor under the sun. 21 For a man may do his work with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then he must leave all he owns to someone who has not worked for it. This too is meaningless and a great misfortune. 22 What does a man get for all the toil and anxious striving with which he labors under the sun? 23 All his days his work is pain and grief; even at night his mind does not rest. This too is meaningless."

3: "9 What does the worker gain from his toil? 10 I have seen the burden God has laid on men. 11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. 12 I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. 13 That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil—this is the gift of God. 14 I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere him."

The contradictions of this life eh. Everything beautiful in it's time and yet we'll never be content because eternity is in our hearts as well. Seems kind of unfair.

This is becoming a bit randomly stream of consiousness now, ah well, jPod will get us all in the end. For now sleep will ward away the randomness. Phew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home