Saturday, August 18, 2007

Blind Light.

I went to see the Antony Gormley exhibition at the Hayward Gallery this week. I'd encourage you all to go but it ends tomorrow. I have the urge to write overlong pompous sentences about his genius, but I'll try not to. I think the reason I love his work so much is that it's so interactive, you enter into the works, you experience them and through that see the world in different ways. He does amazing things with space, or the absence of presence. Blind light is a genius piece, a cloud in a box. Wandering through a space where light does not illuminate is fascinating. Light is all around and yet you can't see more than a foot in front of you. I felt like I was outside, possibly on top of a mountain, or anywhere but a perspex box in London. Which apparently was one of the points of it.

Mr Gormley himself says:
'Architecture is supposed to be the location of security and
certainty about where you are. It is supposed to protect you
from the weather, from darkness, from uncertainty. Blind Light
undermines all of that. You enter his interior space that is the
equivalent of being on top of a mountain or at the bottom of
the sea. It is very important for me that inside it you find the
outside. Also you become the immersed figure in an endless
ground, literally the subject of the work.’

I love being shown more of what it is to be human, more of our creativity, more of attempts to add to our understanding of the space we live in. And being in a cloud for five minutes was kind of cool too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home