Friday, April 14, 2006

Friday.

The sky darkens. The Word who became flesh is now nailed to a piece of wood. The crowd cries out for more, taunts and scoffs. Who could have predicted such an ending?, not the women crying at the foot of the cross, not his followers bewildered and confused. "A murderer they save, the prince of life, they slay." The horrible irony of that moment. The sky darkens. The wrath of God poured out on himself as he takes our bullet. As he dies my death. "All my pride, all my greed, all my falleness and shame, and the Lord has laid the punishment on him." The sky darkens.

He cries from the cross, "Father forgive", "Why have you forsaken me?", "It is finished." Who can tell of the horror of that moment, the trinity wrenched apart for you and for me. A God who comes, who suffers, who takes our place, who rips apart history to bring about his Kingdom and Glory. A broken weak God displaying once and for all time the strength of foolishness. And as He breaths his last, the query of defeat on everyone's lips, a sound is heard, a ripping sound. The temple curtain is torn in two from top to bottom. A sign of hope? Or something to be remembered after Sunday has come. We are left holding our breaths, waiting in the dark.

"Behold the man upon the cross
My sin upon his shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice
Call out amongst the scoffers
It was my sin that held him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished."


"We worship at your feet, where wrath and mercy meet, and a guilty world is washed by loves pure stream.
For us he was made sin, O help me take it in, deep wounds of love cry out, Father forgive.
I worship, I worship, the lamb who was slain."


"But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed.

We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
each of us has turned to his own way;
and the LORD has laid on him
the iniquity of us all."

3 Comments:

Blogger Lou said...

hey kath! tis lou here from word alive, i was in your impact group! just thought i would make myself known. : )

lou.xxx

15/4/06 2:01 pm  
Blogger Kath said...

hey Lou, welcome to the fold!

15/4/06 4:18 pm  
Blogger Jonny:) said...

as Tony Campolio quoted:

"its FRIIIIIIDAYY but SUNday's Coming"

17/4/06 10:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home